Ketamine to Treat Bipolar Depression
Ketamine is a drug commonly used in surgical anesthesia. A potential new use for this drug might be in the treatment of bipolar depression. A recent study found that an injection of ketamine improved mood within minutes for people with bipolar disorder, who were not responsive to other medications. The effects of the one-time injection lasted for up to two weeks. Ask your psychiatrist about available treatment options. In an effort to replicate previous findings, Carlos Zarate , MD, of the National Institute of Mental Health, and colleagues enrolled 15 people with either ty...
Guitarist Bob Welch Dead
Bob Welch, the guitarist who grooved with Fleetwood Mac for three years, died Thursday at age 65 of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, the Associated Press reported.
Good Relationships may Decrease Suicide Risk
Suicide attempts are common for people with borderline personality disorder (BPD). New research looks into the predictors of suicide in patients with BPD with aims at designing treatments to offset the risk.
Predicting Dropout Will Help Treat BPD
One obstacle in treating patients with borderline personality disorder (BPD) is the frequent discontinuation of therapy. New research shows that causes for dropout are identifiable and possibly preventable.
Pro Bowl Linebacker Seau Dies
One of the most feared linebackers in the NFL died today as a result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest.
The Effects of Bullying on the Young
It isn’t easy to deal with a bully, and young children are often the victims. These young bullies probably don’t understand the effects, but the victims of bullying are more likely to hurt themselves. According to a new study the victims of bullying are up to three times more likely to do harm to themselves by age 12. Talk to teachers and your child about bullying The study was led by Helen Fisher, PhD, of the Institute of Psychiatry at King’s College London. “Bullying by peers is a major problem during the early school years. This study found that before 12 years of...
Migraines Linked to Suicide Risk
Individuals who suffer from severe headaches, even if they're not migraines, are more likely to attempt suicide. Researchers said the increase could be due to the associated pain severity.
Suicide Risk and Antiepileptic Drugs
Some antiepileptic drugs have been associated with an increased risk of suicide. A new study shows that the use of antiepileptic drugs by patients with bipolar disorder did not increase the risk of suicide.
Increased Stress During Active Service
There are dramatic mental health implications for those actively serving in the armed services. Recent findings reveal army suicide rates have dramatically increased in recent years.
Bullying Cases Increase Thoughts of Suicide
When you get a call home that your child has been involved in a bullying case—as the bully or the bullied—addressing and correcting the issues could prevent future psychological distress.
- (-) Remove Mental Health filter Mental Health
- (-) Remove Suicide Prevention filter Suicide Prevention
- Depression (37) Apply Depression filter
- Emotional Health (22) Apply Emotional Health filter
- Violence Prevention (20) Apply Violence Prevention filter
- Anxiety Disorders (16) Apply Anxiety Disorders filter
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (9) Apply Post Traumatic Stress Disorder filter
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (3) Apply Generalized Anxiety Disorder filter
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (1) Apply Obsessive Compulsive Disorder filter
- Panic Disorder (1) Apply Panic Disorder filter
- Social Anxiety Disorder (1) Apply Social Anxiety Disorder filter
- Addictions (15) Apply Addictions filter
- Stress (15) Apply Stress filter
- Child Disorders (9) Apply Child Disorders filter
- Bipolar Disorder (8) Apply Bipolar Disorder filter
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (2) Apply Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder filter
- Borderline Personality Disorder (2) Apply Borderline Personality Disorder filter
- Eating Disorders (2) Apply Eating Disorders filter
- Schizophrenia (2) Apply Schizophrenia filter
- Traumatic Brain Injury (2) Apply Traumatic Brain Injury filter
- Dementia (1) Apply Dementia filter
- Sleep Disorders (1) Apply Sleep Disorders filter
- Pediatrics (8) Apply Pediatrics filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (5) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Migraine Headaches (3) Apply Migraine Headaches filter
- Alzheimers Disease (2) Apply Alzheimers Disease filter
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (1) Apply Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis filter
- Chronic Pain Conditions (1) Apply Chronic Pain Conditions filter
- Parkinsons Disease (1) Apply Parkinsons Disease filter
- Cancer (4) Apply Cancer filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (4) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Cardiovascular (3) Apply Cardiovascular filter
- Infectious Disease (3) Apply Infectious Disease filter
- Patient Safety Education (3) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Womens Health (3) Apply Womens Health filter
- Diabetes (2) Apply Diabetes filter
- Healthy Eating and Diet (2) Apply Healthy Eating and Diet filter
- Mens Health (2) Apply Mens Health filter
- Trauma (2) Apply Trauma filter
- Gastrointestinal (1) Apply Gastrointestinal filter
- Pulmonary Disease (1) Apply Pulmonary Disease filter
- Sleep Apnea Insomnia (1) Apply Sleep Apnea Insomnia filter
- (-) Remove Mental Health filter Mental Health