Thiopental is used for anesthesia during certain procedures. It is administered in 5 minutes.
How was your experience with Thiopental?
Uses of Thiopental
Thiopental is used in the treatment of:
- Intracranial Hypertension
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Thiopental Brand Names
Thiopental may be found in some form under the following brand names:
Thiopental Drug Class
Thiopental is part of the drug class:
This is not a complete list of Thiopentaldrug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Thiopental and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Thiopental falls into category C:
In animal studies, pregnant animals were given this medication and had some babies born with problems. No well-controlled studies have been done in humans, though. Therefore, this medication may be used if the potential benefits to the mother outweigh the potential risks to the unborn child.
There are no well-controlled studies that have been done in pregnant women. Thiopental should be used during pregnancy only if the possible benefit outweighs the possible risk to the unborn baby.
No studies have been done in animals, and no well-controlled studies have been done in pregnant women. Thiopental should be given to a pregnant woman only if clearly needed.
Take thiopental exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The Thiopental dose your doctor recommends will be based on the following (use any or all that apply):
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- how you respond to this medication
- your weight
- your height
- your age
- your gender
Thiopental is available in the following doses:
- Thiopental 1 G Intravenous Powder For Injection
- Thiopental 2.5 G Intravenous Powder For Injection
- Thiopental 250 Mg Intravenous Powder For Injection
- Thiopental 400 Mg Intravenous Powder For Injection
- Thiopental 400 Mg/g Rectal Suspension
- Thiopental 5 G Intravenous Powder For Injection
- Thiopental 500 Mg Intravenous Powder For Injection
Forms of Medication
Thiopental is available in the following forms:
- Injectable Solution
- Prefilled Syringe