Trader Joe’s Company is recalling Raw Walnuts because these products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The recalled Trader Joe’s Raw Walnuts were distributed to Trader Joe’s stores nationwide.
The products are packaged in clear plastic bags with the UPC Codes printed on the back. For the Raw California Walnut products, the “BEST BY” dates and Lot Numbers can be found printed on the back of the packages. For the Organic Raw Walnut products, the “BEST BY” dates can be found printed on the front of the packages.
All potentially affected Raw Walnut products are as follows:
- UPC: 00373685; Product Description: Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Pieces – 16oz; BEST BY date: 12/2015; Lot Numbers: GU4345
- UPC: 00943338; Product Description: Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Halves & Pieces – 16 oz; BEST BY dates: 12/2015; Lot Numbers: GU4346, GU4349, GU4356
- UPC: 00519342; Product Description: Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Walnut Baking Pieces – 16 oz; BEST BY dates: 12/2015; Lot Numbers: GU4350
- UPC: 00519328; Product Description: Trader Joe’s Nuts Raw California Premium Walnut Halves – 16oz; BEST BY dates: 12/2015; Lot Numbers: GU4343, GU4344, GU4351, GU4352
- UPC: 00586627; Product Description: Trader Joe’s Organic Raw Walnut Halves & Pieces – 12oz; BEST BY dates: OCT 15 2015, OCT 16 2015, OCT 17 2015, OCT 20 2015, OCT 21 2015, NOV 17 2015, NOV 18 2015, NOV 19 2015, NOV 20 2015, NOV 28 2015, DEC 01 2015
The potential for contamination was noted after routine testing by an outside company contracted by the FDA revealed the presence of Salmonella in certain packages of Trader Joe’s Raw Walnuts.
Out of an abundance of caution, Trader Joe’s removed all lots of these products from store shelves and will suspend sale of these products while the FDA and the manufacturers involved continue their investigation into the source of the problem.
To date, Trader Joe’s Company has not received any illness complaints related to these recalled products.
Customers who have purchased any of this recalled Raw Walnut product are urged not to eat it, and to dispose of the product or return it to any Trader Joe’s for a full refund. Customers with questions may contact Trader Joe’s Customer Relations at (626) 599-3817 [Monday through Friday, 6:00AM to 6:00PM PST].