These Medications Posed Risks for Dementia Patients
Treating and caring for patients with dementia is often difficult, and medications are seen as a way to help manage behavior. What happens when those medications may also pose health risks?
Balancing Pregnancy and Epilepsy
Women with epilepsy usually need to take medications to treat the condition even while they are pregnant. But how do those medications affect their developing babies?
Tips For Women With Epilepsy Who May Get Pregnant
Two recent studies offered new insight for women who take medications for epilepsy on how to reduce their baby's risk for birth defects and whether breastfeeding is recommended.
Epilepsy Rx While Pregnant: Does Dose Matter?
Researchers have discovered a link between a common epilepsy medication and a specific birth defect in newborn babies. The study sheds light on how women taking epileptic medications during pregnancy can reduce their chance of having a baby with physical deformities.
Doctors Unaware of Epilepsy Rx Side Effects
Doctors tend to be regarded as the experts when prescribing medications; however, new research may cast doubt on this assumption.
Valproate Anti-seizure Products Contraindicated for Migraine Prevention in Pregnant Women
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising healthcare professionals and women that the anti-seizure medication valproate sodium and related products, valproic acid and divalproex sodium, are contraindicated and should not be taken by pregnant women for the prevention of migraine headaches.
A Pregnancy Dilemma for a Medication?
Some medications are linked to disorders such as autism or to birth defects when taken during pregnancy. However, that risk must also be balanced against the medication's benefits.
Combining Meds for Bipolar Disorder
People with rapid cycling bipolar disorder may have different treatments needs. A recent study looked at combining Depakote , lithium and Lamictal .
Meds for Bipolar with Mixed Episodes
Some people with bipolar disorder have mixed episodes – they have symptoms of both mania and depression at the same time. Are anti-psychotics safe and effective for mixed symptoms?
Kids These Days… and Their Rx
It's important to treat mental illness. But some people have concerns that children are over-treated with medications. Research evidence does show an increase in some psychiatric meds for kids.
- (-) Remove Depakote filter Depakote
- Lamictal (6) Apply Lamictal filter
- Risperdal Consta (2) Apply Risperdal Consta filter
- Tegretol (2) Apply Tegretol filter
- Topamax (2) Apply Topamax filter
- Carbatrol (1) Apply Carbatrol filter
- Dilantin (1) Apply Dilantin filter
- Gralise (1) Apply Gralise filter
- Horizant (1) Apply Horizant filter
- Keppra (1) Apply Keppra filter
- Keppra XR (1) Apply Keppra XR filter
- Neurontin (1) Apply Neurontin filter
- Seroquel (1) Apply Seroquel filter
- Toprol XL (1) Apply Toprol XL filter
- Trileptal (1) Apply Trileptal filter
- Mental Health (9) Apply Mental Health filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (9) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (7) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Patient Safety Education (2) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Womens Health (2) Apply Womens Health filter
- Pediatrics (1) Apply Pediatrics filter