Referee a Food-Safe Super Bowl Party
As the Steelers and the Packers get ready to go helmet-to-helmet for the Big Game, here are a few calls that will keep you and your friends safe from foodborne illness.
...Not the Ideal Salad Dressing
State Garden is voluntarily recalling all of their salad products produced on January 4th due to potential Listeria contamination, a potentially life-threatening bacterium.
Gluten-Free, But Not Bacteria-Free
Ian's has issued a voluntary recall of its gluten-free macaroni and F rench bread pizza due to potential Listeria contamination, which can cause serious illness for those with weakened immune systems.
The Bloom is Off the Rose
Mama Rose's Gourmet Foods is voluntarily recalling their queso and salsa due to possible Clostridium botulinum contamination, which can cause dangerous infections.
Bacteria on the Half Shell
Managers of the Portland Shellfish Co., Inc. have agreed to temporarily halt distribution due to investigation by the FDA of poor sanitation practices that may be leading to L. mono bacterial contamination.
Aloha, Bean Sauce!
Hawaiian bean sauce has been recalled voluntarily by First Commercial Kitchen LLC because of potential Clostridium botulinum contamination and the risk of life-threatening illness.
With E. coli bacterial contamination a potential problem in both drinking and recreational water supplies, a new laser technique to provide faster and better analyses of rivers, beaches and lakes is a welcome new tool.
Killer Paper with a Silver Lining
Scientists have developed a new material that fights the bacteria that is responsible for food-borne illness. This is good news considering last years spate of food-borne illness scares.
A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Cholera Go Down
Researchers in Central Florida have developed a fast, inexpensive detection tool for cholera, a bacterial disease that infects millions of people worldwide.
Schmaltzy Fish Recalled
Packages of Ossie’s Schmaltz Herring have been recalled due to potential Listeria contamination, a bacterium that can cause potentially fatal infections in children and older adults.