FDA Drug Safety Communication: Pradaxa
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting the public to important storage and handling requirements for Pradaxa ( dabigatran etexilate mesylate ) capsules.
(UPDATE 12/19) FDA Drug Safety Communication: Multaq (dronedarone)
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is reviewing data from a clinical trial that was evaluating the effects of the antiarrhythmic drug Multaq ( dronedarone ) in patients with permanent atrial fibrillation.
Heart Defibrillation with Less Pain
Scientists have found a way to end life-threatening heart arrhythmia without damaging tissue and with less pain. The condition was usually treated with defibrillation, a treatment that not only damages heart tissue but causes significant pain. The new method would cut the energy used by defibrillation by 84 percent. If you have atrial fibrillation, ensure your cardiologist is aware of the LEAP device. Robert Gilmour, study co-author and a professor of physiology at Cornell University, said a traditional defibrillator stimulates all of the heart's cells at the same time. For a br...
A Pace Ahead
Pacemaker patients have generally been unable to get an MRI because the magnetic fields can disrupt the device's operation, putting patients at risk for a heart attack. A newly designed pacemaker allows patients to safely receive an MRI.
Heart Flutter and Pain Relievers
Using over the counter medications can be confusing. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs ( NSAIDs ), for example, are great for treating pain and inflammation, but are linked to an increased risk of other problems.
Chantix Linked to 72% Increase in Heart Problems
Cigarette smokers may be ready to kick their habit, but a popular smoking cessation drug may only add health risks. A new study indicates that Chantix (varenicline) may come with a heightened risk of serious heart problems.
New Treatment for Irregular Heartbeat
Atrial fibrillation can be difficult to treat because medications can stop working. But researchers have developed a new hybrid procedure they believe can better help patients. Though rarely deadly, atrial fibrillation can cause difficult symptoms such as chest pain and fatigue.
Better Detecting Cardiac Arrhythmia
Atrial Fibrillation is the most common abnormal heart rhythm, affecting about 2.2 million Americans. A report recently submitted suggests that it may in fact emerge as "the new epidemic" in heart disease.
Weak Heart and Broken Bones
As people grow older, they have a higher risk of heart problems and broken bones. In fact, there may be a relationship between heart failure and bone loss.
Sometimes You Need More Than an Aspirin
According to a new report, an anti-clotting drug appears to be more effective at curbing stroke risk than aspirin in atrial fibrillation patients unable to take stronger drugs.
- (-) Remove Cardiovascular filter Cardiovascular
- (-) Remove Atrial Fibrillation filter Atrial Fibrillation
- Stroke (53) Apply Stroke filter
- Heart Attack (20) Apply Heart Attack filter
- Hypertension (15) Apply Hypertension filter
- Congestive Heart Failure (13) Apply Congestive Heart Failure filter
- High Cholesterol (9) Apply High Cholesterol filter
- Atherosclerosis (7) Apply Atherosclerosis filter
- Aortic Aneurysm (5) Apply Aortic Aneurysm filter
- Peripheral Arterial Disease (4) Apply Peripheral Arterial Disease filter
- Mental Health (26) Apply Mental Health filter
- Addictions (7) Apply Addictions filter
- Depression (7) Apply Depression filter
- Dementia (6) Apply Dementia filter
- Bipolar Disorder (2) Apply Bipolar Disorder filter
- Sleep Disorders (2) Apply Sleep Disorders filter
- Stress (2) Apply Stress filter
- Anxiety Disorders (1) Apply Anxiety Disorders filter
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (1) Apply Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder filter
- Healthy Eating and Diet (25) Apply Healthy Eating and Diet filter
- Diabetes (14) Apply Diabetes filter
- Hematology (13) Apply Hematology filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (12) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Patient Safety Education (12) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Womens Health (12) Apply Womens Health filter
- Cancer (11) Apply Cancer filter
- Gastrointestinal (9) Apply Gastrointestinal filter
- Pediatrics (9) Apply Pediatrics filter
- Infectious Disease (8) Apply Infectious Disease filter
- Rheumatic Disease (7) Apply Rheumatic Disease filter
- Incontinence (5) Apply Incontinence filter
- Mens Health (5) Apply Mens Health filter
- Eye Disease (4) Apply Eye Disease filter
- Pulmonary Disease (4) Apply Pulmonary Disease filter
- Kidney Disease (3) Apply Kidney Disease filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (3) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Sleep Apnea Insomnia (2) Apply Sleep Apnea Insomnia filter
- Gout (1) Apply Gout filter
- Healthy Home (1) Apply Healthy Home filter
- Sexual Health (1) Apply Sexual Health filter
- Thyroid Disorders (1) Apply Thyroid Disorders filter
- (-) Remove Cardiovascular filter Cardiovascular