Oxacillin treats several different types of bacterial infections. May cause diarrhea. Tell your doctor if your diarrhea is severe.
How was your experience with Oxacillin?
Uses of Oxacillin
Oxacillin is used in the treatment of:
- Endocarditis, Bacterial
- Meningitis, Bacterial
- Respiratory Tract Infections
- Staphylococcal Infections
- Urinary Tract Infections
- Wound Infection
Oxacillin is used in the prevention of:
- Gram-Positive Bacterial Infections
- Postoperative Complications
This medication may be prescribed for other uses. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Oxacillin Brand Names
Oxacillin may be found in some form under the following brand names:
Oxacillin Drug Class
Oxacillin is part of the drug class:
This is not a complete list of Oxacillindrug interactions. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Oxacillin and Pregnancy
Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
The FDA categorizes medications based on safety for use during pregnancy. Five categories - A, B, C, D, and X, are used to classify the possible risks to an unborn baby when a medication is taken during pregnancy.
Oxacillin falls into category B:
There are no well-done studies that have been done in humans with Oxacillin. But in animal studies, pregnant animals were given this medication, and the babies did not show any medical issues related to this medication.
In animal studies, pregnant animals were given Oxacillin, and some babies had problems. But in human studies, pregnant women were given this medication and their babies did not have any problems related to this medication.
Take oxacillin exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Follow the directions on your prescription label carefully.
The Oxacillin dose your doctor recommends will be based on the following (use any or all that apply):
- the condition being treated
- other medical conditions you have
- other medications you are taking
- how you respond to this medication
- your weight
- your height
- your age
- your gender
Oxacillin is available in the following doses:
- Oxacillin 1 G Injectable Powder For Injection
- Oxacillin 1 G/50 Ml Intravenous Solution
- Oxacillin 10 G Injectable Powder For Injection
- Oxacillin 2 G Injectable Powder For Injection
- Oxacillin 2 G/50 Ml Intravenous Solution
- Oxacillin 250 Mg Oral Capsule
- Oxacillin 250 Mg/5 Ml Oral Powder For Reconstitution
- Oxacillin 4 G Injectable Powder For Injection
- Oxacillin 500 Mg Injectable Powder For Injection
- Oxacillin 500 Mg Oral Capsule
Forms of Medication
Oxacillin is available in the following forms:
- Injectable Solution
- Oral Capsule
- Oral Suspension