Health News

The Bloom is Off the Rose
Mama Rose's Gourmet Foods is voluntarily recalling their queso and salsa due to possible Clostridium botulinum contamination, which can cause dangerous infections.
Bacteria on the Half Shell
Managers of the Portland Shellfish Co., Inc. have agreed to temporarily halt distribution due to investigation by the FDA of poor sanitation practices that may be leading to L. mono bacterial contamination.
Aloha, Bean Sauce!
Hawaiian bean sauce has been recalled voluntarily by First Commercial Kitchen LLC because of potential Clostridium botulinum contamination and the risk of life-threatening illness.
Laser Precision
With E. coli bacterial contamination a potential problem in both drinking and recreational water supplies, a new laser technique to provide faster and better analyses of rivers, beaches and lakes is a welcome new tool.
Killer Paper with a Silver Lining
Scientists have developed a new material that fights the bacteria that is responsible for food-borne illness. This is good news considering last years spate of food-borne illness scares.
A Spoonful of Sugar Helps the Cholera Go Down
Researchers in Central Florida have developed a fast, inexpensive detection tool for cholera, a bacterial disease that infects millions of people worldwide.
Schmaltzy Fish Recalled
Packages of Ossie’s Schmaltz Herring have been recalled due to potential Listeria contamination, a bacterium that can cause potentially fatal infections in children and older adults.
Juice Producer May Be Shut Down
The FDA is trying to stop production of a New York based company that distributes juice and other products, due to poor safety procedures that could lead to food contamination and illness.
This Clover Isn't So Lucky
Sprouters Northwest of Kent, Washington is recalling all lots of its clover and clover mix products due to possible Salmonella contamination.
Pulling Some Strings
Surtex Foods is recalling their Oaxaca string cheese due to two possible bacteria, Listeria monocytogenes and Staphylococcus aureus , that can lead to fatal gastrointestinal infections.