Learning from History
In recognition of Black History Month we're taking a look at diseases for which African-Americans are at higher risk -- and what to do about them.
A Plan to Help the Pre-existing Condition Crowd
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is increasing awareness about a health plan for uninsured Americans with pre-existing conditions created by the Affordable Care Act.
Pictures of Health?
Cardiac imaging following a heart attack has been linked to an increased cancer risk because of the exposure to low-dose radiation, according to a new study.
Trade in the Blue for the Black
While blueberries and blackberries offer myriad health benefits, including high levels of antioxidants, prices can be prohibitively expensive. Black rice may offer a more affordable, comparatively healthful alternative.
Heart Drug May Boost Cancer Therapy
Low doses of an inexpensive, FDA-approved hypertension medication may improve the results of nanotherapeutic approaches to cancer treatment.
Searching for the Genetic Source
A new study from the Medical College of Georgia has established a link between fat and chemical changes in DNA. This may explain the increased risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes among obese individuals.
Weighing In on Body Image
Too fat. Too skinny. Apple-shaped. Pear-shaped. Women come in all shapes and sizes, and it's a subjective guessing game as to which standard of beauty will appeal to whom.
Obesity Costs Take the Cake
Are you at your optimum weight? If not, don't fret. Knowledge is power, and the more you know, the more you can do to make 2011 your Healthy Weight Year.
Toxic for the Ticker?
A recent study from the Dana Farber Cancer Institute has found breast cancer drug bevacizumab (Avastin, Genentech) appears to increase risk of congestive heart failure.
Is Folic Acid All It's Cracked up to 'B'?
Next week marks National Folic Acid Awareness Week. A new meta-analysis from the University of Oxford, England, suggests the water-soluble B vitamin may not quite live up to its lauded reputation.
- Doxorubicin (2) Apply Doxorubicin filter
- Herceptin (2) Apply Herceptin filter
- Avodart (1) Apply Avodart filter
- Chantix (1) Apply Chantix filter
- Crestor (1) Apply Crestor filter
- Lipitor (1) Apply Lipitor filter
- Lovenox (1) Apply Lovenox filter
- Norvasc (1) Apply Norvasc filter
- Zocor (1) Apply Zocor filter
- (-) Remove Cancer filter Cancer
- Breast Cancer Female (31) Apply Breast Cancer Female filter
- Colon Cancer (19) Apply Colon Cancer filter
- Lung Cancer (15) Apply Lung Cancer filter
- Rectal Cancer (9) Apply Rectal Cancer filter
- Prostate Cancer (8) Apply Prostate Cancer filter
- Breast Cancer Male (3) Apply Breast Cancer Male filter
- Uterine Cancer (3) Apply Uterine Cancer filter
- Ovarian Cancer (2) Apply Ovarian Cancer filter
- Brain Cancer (1) Apply Brain Cancer filter
- Cervical Cancer (1) Apply Cervical Cancer filter
- Esophageal Cancer (1) Apply Esophageal Cancer filter
- Kidney Cancer (1) Apply Kidney Cancer filter
- Liver Cancer (1) Apply Liver Cancer filter
- Male Cancer (1) Apply Male Cancer filter
- Pancreatic Cancer (1) Apply Pancreatic Cancer filter
- Skin Cancer (1) Apply Skin Cancer filter
- (-) Remove Cardiovascular filter Cardiovascular
- Stroke (38) Apply Stroke filter
- Hypertension (35) Apply Hypertension filter
- Heart Attack (23) Apply Heart Attack filter
- High Cholesterol (21) Apply High Cholesterol filter
- Atrial Fibrillation (11) Apply Atrial Fibrillation filter
- Congestive Heart Failure (10) Apply Congestive Heart Failure filter
- Atherosclerosis (3) Apply Atherosclerosis filter
- Healthy Eating and Diet (70) Apply Healthy Eating and Diet filter
- Mental Health (57) Apply Mental Health filter
- Addictions (28) Apply Addictions filter
- Depression (10) Apply Depression filter
- Stress (6) Apply Stress filter
- Emotional Health (5) Apply Emotional Health filter
- Sleep Disorders (5) Apply Sleep Disorders filter
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (3) Apply Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder filter
- Suicide Prevention (3) Apply Suicide Prevention filter
- Bipolar Disorder (2) Apply Bipolar Disorder filter
- Schizophrenia (1) Apply Schizophrenia filter
- Violence Prevention (1) Apply Violence Prevention filter
- Diabetes (56) Apply Diabetes filter
- Neuromuscular Disease (26) Apply Neuromuscular Disease filter
- Multiple Sclerosis (10) Apply Multiple Sclerosis filter
- Osteoporosis (9) Apply Osteoporosis filter
- Alzheimers Disease (8) Apply Alzheimers Disease filter
- Osteoarthritis (5) Apply Osteoarthritis filter
- Chronic Pain Conditions (1) Apply Chronic Pain Conditions filter
- Epilepsy Seizure Disorders (1) Apply Epilepsy Seizure Disorders filter
- Migraine Headaches (1) Apply Migraine Headaches filter
- Parkinsons Disease (1) Apply Parkinsons Disease filter
- Womens Health (26) Apply Womens Health filter
- Infectious Disease (18) Apply Infectious Disease filter
- Pulmonary Disease (16) Apply Pulmonary Disease filter
- Gastrointestinal (13) Apply Gastrointestinal filter
- Lactose Intolerance Food Allergy (5) Apply Lactose Intolerance Food Allergy filter
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (4) Apply Irritable Bowel Syndrome filter
- Liver Disease (4) Apply Liver Disease filter
- Constipation (3) Apply Constipation filter
- Dental Health (2) Apply Dental Health filter
- Pancreatitis (1) Apply Pancreatitis filter
- Rheumatic Disease (12) Apply Rheumatic Disease filter
- Hematology (10) Apply Hematology filter
- Kidney Disease (9) Apply Kidney Disease filter
- Patient Safety Education (9) Apply Patient Safety Education filter
- Pediatrics (9) Apply Pediatrics filter
- Obstetrics/Gynecology (8) Apply Obstetrics/Gynecology filter
- Eye Disease (6) Apply Eye Disease filter
- Exercise (5) Apply Exercise filter
- Mens Health (4) Apply Mens Health filter
- Incontinence (3) Apply Incontinence filter
- Sexual Health (3) Apply Sexual Health filter
- Sleep Apnea Insomnia (2) Apply Sleep Apnea Insomnia filter
- Thyroid Disorders (2) Apply Thyroid Disorders filter
- Deafness Hearing Loss (1) Apply Deafness Hearing Loss filter
- Dermatology (1) Apply Dermatology filter
- Healthy Home (1) Apply Healthy Home filter
- (-) Remove Cancer filter Cancer